Tuesday 16 February 2021

V.R.I Her life and Empire (1901)

 


Tonight's book isn't much to look at on the outside. The old addage of never judging a book by it's cover is apt here. At 120 years old it is looking quite battered but some how that does make me love it a little bit more.



The book is very rose tinted with every story about Queen Victoria showing her only in the best light, which I pretty much expected. It can get a little gushy in places.
There are several interesting things that jumped out at me like the description of the Royal wedding cake. 
I wonder if anyone has ever tried recreating it? 


The full page art prints are stunning. I was curious to see that Queen Victoria wears her bracelets midway up her arms in many paintings. A quick search of Victorian paintings shows this to be a popular way to wear them. I wonder when and why bracelets started to be worn on the wrists rather than the arm? Futher research may be needed.


Towards the end of her life photography arrives and you can see the beautiful dresses and accessories in wonderful detail.
I googled a few, like her wedding dress for instance, and found some really clear close up photographs of the fine detail that went into her outfits. 
It's made for a thoroughly fascinating evening and has led to me looking up all sorts of tibits of information.
The Royal family seems to be a theme of several books in the box I tecieved. I wonder which Royal I'll learn about next?

X x X

1 comment:

I love receiving comments, Thank you for dropping by.