Tuesday 17 September 2013

Chive Icecube Preserving

  As the title suggests I have Chives that need storing. The delightful people at Waitrose reduced their Chive pots down to 15p yesterday. I only managed to grab one so it's important to make the most of it.
 Now the idea with these pots is that they live in your kitchen and you cut off and use what you need fresh. In reality your plant will be dead within 48 hours usually and useless. After several attempts of keeping them alive I have given up and just try to process them as soon as i can.
 First I cut them up into sprinkles with a pair of sharp clean kitchen scissors. 
Then half fill each section of an ice-cube tray with water and top up with chives. This part is pretty messy but it so much easier to add the chives to the water and not the other way around. Trust me on that one :)
 Pop in the freezer for a few hours until frozen and then tip them out into another container. Reuse the tray for the next batch and continue on until the whole plant has been processed.

 I like to add a cube to my wok while it's warming up for scrambled eggs. Chives are also fantastic with tomatoes, cheese and pasta.

 X x X

1 comment:

  1. These supermarket herbs usually die because they are just too crowded in their little pots.In my garden that amount of chives would fill a space a couple of feet square. Once you had processed all your chives you could have split the remaining roots into a few pots and they would regrow into more chive plants :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, Thank you for dropping by.